All the answers


Local people

Areas of Responsibility on the development

  • The Beeches (Rocky Lane) Residents Management Co. (The Beeches)

    The Beeches is responsible, through its appointed estate manager, for all communal areas of the beeches and foundry gardens as well as the blocks of flats and communal areas within them. This includes most hard surface areas and parking spaces. It is also responsible for the landscaped areas and playgrounds.

  • Mid Sussex District Council

    Mid Sussex is a local government district in West Sussex. It includes the towns of East Grinstead, Haywards Heath and Burgess Hill. It covers an area of 128.97 sq miles (334 km2) with an population of 139,000. The administrative headquarters is at Oaklands, Oaklands Road, Haywards Heath. Visit the Mid Sussex District Council website.

  • Ansty and Staplefield Parish Council

    Ansty and Staplefield Parish Council has limited powers and is mainly responsible for organising local events and acting as a first tier of local government. It has a small budget that in the past has assisted local volunteer groups or paid for benches, planters or grit bins.

HML Property Management

  • How do I pay my account to HML?

    HML have a portal to which you can register and keep up to date with management issues and pay your bill / check your balance. (The Beeches development awaiting portal activation)

  • What issues are HML responsible for?

    HML are responsible for the “common areas” of the development as well as individual properties and apartment blocks. They take care of all the day-to-day maintenance, insurance, issues and legislation involved in owning a block of flats or residential estate.

    HML manage all the finances and facilities in each apartment block. With an in-depth knowledge of current regulations and legislation.

    HML also collect the ground rents and estate management fees.

    We are tied in a management contract with HML for 5 years after completion of the last property on the whole development.

  • Where do I report issues that HML need to address?

  • Is there a charge for buying and selling on the Beeches?

    HML prepare a Sales Information packs for individuals selling their house or flat. Sales Packs are usually required by the buyer’s solicitor before exchange of contracts. As this is not a communal service charge cost item, it is payable by the individual seller requesting the information in connection with the sale of their individual property.

    Please contact HML or 01737 333780

    The Sales Pack includes the following information/documents:

    ▪ Replies to Law Society recommended form LPE1 where the property is a flat (form attached for reference), and replies to FAQs where the property is a house,
    ▪ Copies of the last 3 years’ certified service charge accounts,
    ▪ The current estate service charge budget and reserve fund information,
    ▪ A statement of account for the property being sold,
    ▪ Insurance policies,
    ▪ Health and Safety and Fire Risk Assessment Reports,
    ▪ Major works information/copies of Section 20 Consultation Notices,
    ▪ Memorandum and Articles of Association for the Management Company, BVCIC
    ▪ Residents Handbook; and
    ▪ Post completion requirements.

  • What if I have an emergency outside office hours?

    Outside office hours contact the normal contact address to be forwarded to an out of hours service 01737 333780

    If you live on the Countryside Foundry Gardens part of the development a dedicated Out of Hours service is provided for the first 2 years of ownership by countryside please refer to your homeowners handbook section one (emergency number 0345 245 8260).

  • Is there a Bulletin Board that provides up to date information?

    HML provide a portal (awaiting activation)

    All maintenance related issues, whether concerning property or landscaping, should be addressed to in the first instance.

Anti Social Behaviour

  • There is an abandoned car or bike in the street, what should I do?

  • There’s graffiti on the walls, what should I do?

  • Where do I report general vandalism?

    If you see it happening dial 999. If it’s after the event dial 101.

  • Where do I report fly-tipping?

    Visit the Mid Sussex District Council website for more information.

  • What do I do if I notice anti-social driving on the development?

    This is defined as driving that is careless, deliberately aggressive or dangerous.

    Visit the Operation Crackdown website to report it.


  • My street light doesn’t work who should I report this to?

    Visit Lights on in West Sussex website and enter your postcode, then select the light that is broken. If it isn’t listed it is managed by HML contact or call 01737 333780

  • Who do I notify if my rubbish bin / recycling bin / garden waste bin hasn’t been collected?

    Visit the Mid Sussex District Council website for more information.

  • What can I put in my recycling bin?

    Check out the West Sussex Waste and Recycling website.

  • I have a snagging issue with my Countryside house

    Contact Countryside Customer Services.

Utility Suppliers

Neighbourhood Watch

  • Neighbourhood Watch

    We could do with a coordinator for the development, any volunteers?